Welcome to my 2nd journal!
It’s September 2015. 150+ world leaders have gathered in New York. They are here to agree on a list of objectives to guide the development of the world for the next 15 years.
This list of objectives becomes knows as the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The goals range from ending poverty to tackling climate change. A greatly ambitious endeavor.
My goal in life has always been to contribute to a world that works for all, people and planet. The UN’s SDGs are the best description of such a world that I have seen to date.
So I am starting this journal to better understand the SDGs. And to seek answers to question like these:
- Is the work of the UN limited to setting goals? Or is there a blueprint for how we (as a world) will achieve the SDGs?
- Are we on track to achieve the SDGs (by 2030)? Who is tracking progress?
- For each goal, which countries are making progress? Which are regressing?
- For each goal and country, what are the key obstacles to achieving the targets?
- For each obstacle, who are the key players working to overcome these challenges?
- How can I be useful in all of this?
Do you have any thoughts? I would love to hear from you!